Tuesday, January 09, 2007

 

Goal is over. Donkeys win.

After a rough downswing over the past 5000 hands or so, I decided to do play some SNGs instead to take a break from the cash game grind. Later in the afternoon, I felt good enough to get back on the cash game saddle and actually felt very positive about things. About 150 hands in, I'm up about half a buy-in and feeling very confident about my game. Then these two hands occur about 10 hands apart.

First hand, I have 88 in MP and after 2 limpers, I limp in. Flop comes 8c-10c-2d, BB bets out 1/2 pot and I raise the pot, some donk flat calls and BB folds. Turn is an offsuit 9, I bet 2/3 pot and donk flat calls leaving not much behind. River is a blank, I shovel and he calls. He shows QJ for the Q-high straight. Yep, he flatcalled a pot sized raise on the flop with just a gutshot. But whatever...he was only about half a buy-in deep at that point.

Second hand, I have TT in the BB and folds around to the SB who raises 3X BB and I flat call since I am in position. 3-betting him pf would be something I would do half the time. Anyway, flop comes out T-x-x all spades. He leads for 2/3 pot, I raise him slightly more than the pot, ready to go to the felt with my hand, and he calls. Turn is an offsuit King, he checks, I bet 2/3 pot, and he c/raises me all-in and I insta-call. River is a spade and he shows KsQx for the rivered flush. Sigh....

So though I only lost 1.5 buy-ins over the 350 hands I played today, I think it's best if I take a break for the next couple of days. I know I'm playing my usual game but I think I might go on serious monkey tilt if I force myself to finish the 20K hands by the end of this week. So what's the final tally? Almost 5.5K hands played and I dropped a total of 10.5 buy-ins. At least I'm adequately rolled for this game, so I'm not in any danger of going busto, though dropping down a level might be necessary if I don't get out of this rut. In $-terms, this is only my 3rd biggest downswing after a $2K downswing in live minbet in late summer and a 3-week crappy streak in MTTs and SNGs last Spring.

In a sick way, this is what I like about poker. Variance can really hit you like a bitch sometimes and it's a really great test of your character when you keep getting kicked in the nuts by the cards over and over again. Some people get really upset and start trying to find reasons for their poor run. They convince themselves that they are inherently unluckier than others or that they would run better if they started playing like how their lousy opponents played. Others would start getting angry with their opponents and berate them (often using vulgar language) for making poor calls that ultimately pay off. I'm glad to say that I've never scolded my opponents for getting lucky on me. I realize that luck plays a major part in individual poker hands and I willingly choose to be part of it, staying for the long run. Besides, my opponents are free to choose to play their cards in whatever way they want and if they want to stick all their money in being a 3-1 underdog, so be it. It would be simply reflect very poorly on my character if I were to go off on my opponents for getting lucky. That being said, it's still really really tough to deal with these downswings. You can only take so many bad beats before doubts about your abilities start creeping into your mind. How do I deal with it? I just take a break or play other forms of poker like Omaha Hi/Lo or Triple Draw. Then once I start feeling the urge to play again, I'll play.

So what's the plan for me over the next few days or week? I guess I'll just be doing some reading (both poker and non-poker related). I'll probably put in several sets of multitabling SNGs and play some Triple Draw online....maybe try to get a live game with my friends going. Some shopping will probably be done as well.

I'll be back soon.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?